American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director of Media Relations. This person will serve as a senior member of the Communications team and will lead communications strategy for several American Progress policy teams.
The Associate Director will work closely with a number of teams—including various policy, Digital Strategy, including Social Media, and Government Affairs, as well as with colleagues on the Press team—to develop and implement communications plans for American Progress initiatives.
- As the communications lead for several American Progress policy teams, develop and execute communications plans for the organization’s policy work.
- Coordinate with other functional teams, including policy, Digital Strategy, and Government Affairs, to develop outreach plans for American Progress work.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices into news of the day and an ever-changing news cycle.
- Develop and maintain relationships with members of the media at the national, state, and local levels, and pitch reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Develop talking points and messaging and prepare American Progress experts for media interviews.
- Maintain policy-specific press lists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Five to seven of experience in media and/or communications. Experience working with reporters is required, and on-the-record spokesperson experience is strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial with strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Nonprofit or political experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.