American Progress is seeking a Software Developer to join the Technology Development team. The Software Developer will work with other team members to build enabling applications to reach our audiences and shape their experience on our websites.
- Create page layouts and design website styling and feature sets.
- Develop and deploy software code according to a design, and test functionality against business requirements.
- Make large and complex data more accessible, understandable, and usable using data visualization tools and applications.
- Work with staff across the organization to solicit requirements, manage expectations, and provide training and continued support.
- Participate in and effectively contribute to project and team meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is a team player with strong hands-on knowledge of various web publishing technologies, a keen eye for data visualization, and a solid grasp of user interface and experience design principles. Desired skills include:
- Excellent information technology and programming skills.
- Good mathematical aptitude and developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think creatively and critically with a knack for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with large amounts of information and see the bigger picture; comfortable with juggling facts, figures, and number crunching.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, time, and project management skills.
- Motivated, self-driven, and fast learner with the ability to keep up to date with fast-changing trends.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in computer science, math, or design.
- Five or more years of hands-on experience developing web apps as a member of a technical team.
- Strong knowledge of SDLC and agile development techniques.
- Hands-on experience with team software productivity tools and technologies, including Git, Grunt, Virtual Box, Vagrant/VVV, and npm.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and a strong knowledge of PowerBi and other visualization tools.
- Experience with data management and sharing and using databases (relational, NoSQL) and document stores is highly desired.
- Hands-on experience to developing and sustaining software applications in a cloud environment (AWS) with a knowledge of Linux operating system.
- Understanding of and/or prior experience working for nonprofit organizations is a plus.
- Commitment to the values and ideals advanced by American Progress.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.