American Progress has an immediate opening for a campaign associate with the Guns and Crime Policy team. The campaign associate will work with the director of Advocacy to develop and execute national, state, and local strategies and campaigns to further American Progress’ gun violence prevention policy goals. The campaign associate will focus on helping coordinate a nationwide network of gun violence prevention organizations and advocates, as well as on working with external stakeholders and state and local coalitions to assist in grassroots and “grasstops” organizing within a wide variety of constituencies to support gun violence prevention advocacy efforts. The campaign associate will also coordinate with other internal teams at American Progress, including the Center for American Progress Action Fund War Room, Government Affairs, Communications, and Generation Progress.
- Develop and maintain relationships with state and national gun violence prevention organizations.
- Assist in the planning and coordination of events, rallies, conferences, and trainings.
- Provide technical assistance to state and local partners through one-on-one coaching and developing tools for effective grassroots advocacy.
- Work with the director of Advocacy to develop and implement training with local and state coalitions and advocates to engage, train, and mobilize local grassroots volunteers to support the successful implementation of local and state policy campaigns.
- Assist in the development of targeted communication campaigns and media strategies for state advocacy efforts.
- Perform regular analysis of political landscapes and identify opportunities for progressive advocacy.
- Work with the director of Advocacy to create and implement strategic advocacy plans for the Guns and Crime Policy team’s overall work and specific campaigns and products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two to four years of work experience in policy, campaigns, advocacy, or related fields.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Highly creative, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with external partners.
- Familiarity with the gun violence issue is preferred but not required.
- Ability to learn new policy issues quickly.
- Ability to work well within a team under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to travel.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.