ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for an Associate Editor to help guide our growing team of investigative reporters. This position will work directly with the team’s Senior Editor and reporters assigning stories, working on pitches, writing stories, setting deadlines, copy editing, and crafting headlines. The ideal candidate will have a strong news sensibility. This position is located in ThinkProgress’ Washington, D.C., office. Remote candidates will not be considered.
- Pitch, report, write, and/or edit news stories for ThinkProgress.
- Assist the Senior Editor in fielding pitches and making edits to investigative and enterprise reporting.
- Help monitor news and assign stories to reporters.
- Help the Senior Editor and the Editor in Chief develop newsroom policies and plans for more ambitious coverage.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least two years of professional experience working in news writing.
- Strong writing, editing, and fact-checking skills; journalistic and ethical judgement; attention to detail; and care for factual accuracy.
- An understanding of and passion for progressive policy and politics and how they intersect with the news.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Eagerly read good investigative and enterprise reporting.
- Feel a sense of satisfaction in helping another writer get their story published.
- Follow the news closely.
- Pitch great stories and know how to take a story idea from good to great.
- Excel when working with a team.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Struggle to manage their own time, stay organized, or remain focused on one thing at a time.
- Need an editor to feed them ideas.
- Are unsure if journalism is the right career.
- Gloss over details or glaze over when processing a litany of facts.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by WGA East.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.