American Progress is seeking a versatile and creative designer to join our Art team. The graphic designer will work as part of a team that creates reports, infographics, web graphics, marketing materials, websites, email designs, interactive media, and video storytelling. The graphic designer will help American Progress communicate progressive ideas and arguments through clear, visually compelling design. The designer’s primary responsibilities include the layout of print publications and the production of compelling web graphics, but the most successful graphic designer will have a knack for translating complex data and information into easy-to-interpret visual representations.
- Design, lay out, and produce reports and other publications, including magazine-style visual techniques.
- Create charts, graphs, and infographics from raw data, working with authors and policy teams.
- Create graphics for various social media accounts, for web and email design projects, and for video as needed.
- Work with technology team and developers to design websites from start to finish.
- Work with print vendors to produce all printed materials for American Progress and ensure they arrive on schedule.
- Help project manage and track workflow.
- Moderate and schedule weekly meetings with policy teams to brainstorm and develop graphic concepts and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major.
- At least three to five years of professional design experience.
- A strong portfolio of design work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Highly creative.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with the latest versions of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment as well with the Microsoft Office suite.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Additional experience and proficiency with the following are not required but desirable:
- Infographic and news design.
- Social media-optimized graphics.
- Statistics and data analysis.
- Data visualization.
- Prepress processes.
- Web design, especially designing with web standards.
- Conference and event branding designs (for venue and promotion).
- Video editing.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.