American Progress seeks a Recruiter and Internship Coordinator to work closely with the Human Resources team and hiring managers. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources and is responsible for managing the hiring processes and procedures at American Progress as well as managing the internship program.
- Work with Director of Human Resources and organization leadership to enact recruitment strategies throughout the organization with a focus on increasing the diversity of the applicant pool.
- Train hiring managers and team leads on best practices and ensure that recruitment policies are followed.
- Draft and edit position descriptions and job postings.
- Make job offers and manage all pre-hire administrative tasks.
- Maintain the careers page and jobs listserv.
- Attend job fairs.
- Analyze data on applicant pools to ensure diversity at all levels of the organization.
- Assist Human Resources Generalist with onboarding and new employee orientations.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations concerning employment and recruitment.
- Liaise with two unions when appropriate.
- Maintain recruitment features within the human capital management (HCM) system.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Maintain relationships with schools and programs that are placing students in internships.
- Seek out new schools and organizations that are placing interns.
- Attend receptions and speeches to advertise the American Progress program.
- Work with representatives of schools that have Washington, D.C., semester programs.
- Keep updated on projects that American Progress is working on and where intern help is needed.
- Train intern managers and work with staff to set up intern orientations.
- Provide programming for interns and coordinate talks with interns and staff members.
- Complete employment verifications and government background checks of former interns.
- Work with the Director of Human Resources and the Legal team to ensure the internship program is meeting all labor guidelines.
- Serve as an advocate and mentor for interns.
- Keep accurate records of program details.
- Maintain internship records and alumni listserv.
- Conduct exit meetings with interns to evaluate program.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or related field.
- Two to four years of experience in the human resources field.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification is preferred.
- Experience with Ceridian HCM is strongly preferred.
- Must have experience working with nonprofit organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment and to handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the organization.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.