American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Special Assistant to the Executive Vice President for Policy. This position calls for a highly organized individual with particular attention to detail. The job involves providing both administrative and research support to senior executives, who rely heavily on special assistants for setting priorities, exercising judgment, managing important relationships, providing timely and concise information, and ensuring that they are well-prepared for speeches, events, and meetings.
The Special Assistant to the Executive Vice President for Policy will assist with administrative procedures; coordinate with other teams at American Progress; organize meetings and manage schedules; research, draft, and edit materials; help organize events or meetings; and perform other tasks.
- Help organize so that the EVP can accomplish daily tasks and long-term responsibilities.
- Exercise judgment on the priority of tasks, meetings, incoming materials for review, pending decisions, and messages
- Provide research support and occasional drafting of messages, letters, or reports for the EVP.
- Prepare briefing books or other materials as needed.
- Communicate with the EVP’s direct reports on their responsibilities and tasks.
- Communicate effectively to senior management, donors, and others on the EVP’s behalf.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Draft letters, emails, memos, speeches, and talking points.
- Manage schedule, calendar, contact list, phone, and email.
- Make travel arrangements and organize meetings as well as group events.
- Draft, edit, and proofread documents.
- Take on special projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior work experience; summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to take initiative and seek direction when needed but also to complete a project without having to wait for the next instruction.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and organize.
- Ability to efficiently design and implement consistent systems for keeping track of overwhelming information flow.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Willingness and ability to take a leadership role among peers in the organization.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com.
Or you may write to: Center for American Progress, 1333 H St. NW, 10th Floor, Washington, D.C., 20005.
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title and department of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.