The Facilities Assistant position at American Progress is a very physical and highly visible position that supports the effective management, monitoring, and maintenance of CAP’s physical space, equipment, fixtures, and appliances. This position is responsible for providing exceptional service through a variety of facilities-related tasks. These tasks include and will not be limited to conference room maintenance; internal moves support; furniture relocations and light furniture repairs; supply inventory stocking and maintenance; and mail processing and distribution. As a member of the Office Services team, the Facilities Assistant is a critical team member who not only supports efforts requiring daily physical labor but also supports effective overall business operations. The successful candidate must be able to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and must be able to respond proactively and with an appropriate sense of urgency to facilities-related matters. This position is perfect for a candidate who has a background in building maintenance/engineering or mail/production and who understands that space and effective maintenance of space truly matters.
- Maintains conference rooms and meeting spaces.
- Provides standard pre- and post-meeting make-ready services.
- Adds/removes additional chairs to accommodate internal meetings.
- Supports internal moves.
- Provides moving supplies.
- Provides moving assistance.
- Completes new hire facilities orientation, desk setups and post-departure desk purges.
- Provides make-ready services for new hires.
- Conducts building orientation.
- Purge desks after employee terminations.
- Maintains and monitors building, furniture, and fixtures.
- Coordinates with building engineering team to ensure smooth facilities operations.
- Monitors and maintains lights and lighting fixtures.
- Monitors and maintains tool availability.
- Repairs furniture as needed.
- Hangs whiteboards and corkboards.
- Reconfigures workspaces as requested.
- Relocates furniture and amenities.
- Maintains databases on-site and off-site furniture pieces and availability.
- Monitors and maintains operability of appliances and equipment.
- Monitors and maintains operability of kitchen appliances.
- Tracks appliance warranty provisions and expiration dates.
- Coordinates repair and replacement of appliances and non-IT equipment.
- Educates staff on proper use and cares of appliance and equipment.
- Monitors and maintains office and kitchen supply inventory.
- Stocks and maintains inventory of standard office supplies on each floor and in the main supply station.
- Stocks and maintains inventory of standard kitchen supplies on each floor and in the main station.
- Monitors, maintains and provisions HVAC services and comfort levels.
- Monitors and maintains comfortable HVAC levels by request and observation.
- Effectively resolves HVAC issues and escalates ongoing issues to building engineers and department leadership appropriately.
- Coordinates evening and weekend HVAC requests via building engineering online portal.
- Receives, processes, and distributes mail and packages.
- Receives and distributes incoming faxes, mail pieces, and packages.
- Collects and processes personal postage expenses.
- Coordinates courier and messaging services.
- Processes outgoing mail.
- Collects and distributes newspapers and other publications.
- Executes general facilities operations.
- Maintains orderly appearance of common areas and spaces.
- Responds to staff reports/requests concerning damages to equipment or the facility itself.
- Supports emergency preparedness efforts.
- Capable of providing front desk support as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in any field.
- One to two years of facilities management, building/office management, or mailroom experience.
- Capacity to interact professionally with all levels of staff.
- Must be mechanically inclined with capacity to use (and learn how to use) tools.
- Demonstrated reliability and strong work ethic.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to exercise good professional judgment.
- Demonstrated customer service experience.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Must be able to work overtime when required.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.