American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Manager/Associate Director of Foundations Relations. The position requires a self-starter with strong written and verbal communications skills as well as an ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. This position helps American Progress pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for foundation funding and helps to produce written communications for the organization. The Associate Director will work closely with the Foundation Relations Director to drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from American Progress’ constituency over the next several years. The Senior Manager/Associate Director will supervise the Foundation Relations Coordinator. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
Please note that the candidate’s title will be determined by their experience. Specific responsibilities and qualifications will vary slightly based on the level of the position the candidate qualifies for.
The Foundation Relations unit works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3), and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4), in order to become familiar with program content and make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing research to identify foundation funding opportunities; collaborate on strategies for approaching foundation prospects; and track all foundation activity and deadlines.
- Implement strategies and activities designed to increase support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential foundation support, working closely with the Director to drive fundraising strategy.
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders and stay abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving.
- Work closely with the Foundation Relations Coordinator to identify new opportunities for funding that align with American Progress’ programs through prospect research.
- Draft original copy, edit, and format foundation materials, including but not limited to proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, email, presentations, and acknowledgment letters.
- Assist with the planning and execution of meetings with foundation staff; research and draft briefings for executive leadership in advance of foundation meetings; and prepare senior staff for foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Partner with American Progress’ program staff to cultivate relationships with both current and prospective donors, as well as support foundation fundraising on the part of American Progress’ executive team.
- Track grant requirements and deadlines, as well as contact between American Progress and its funders.
- Supervise the Foundation Relations Coordinator on an ongoing basis, which includes, but is not limited to, monitoring workflow; providing coaching and feedback on performance; and helping to facilitate professional growth as appropriate.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant spending.
- Perform other duties as assigned to move forward American Progress’ foundation relations portfolio.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Four to seven years of foundation relations experience or comparable work with foundations—preferably at a nonprofit advocacy or policy-oriented organization.
- Experience managing a seven-figure portfolio of foundation donors as well as managing relationships with both program officers and internal colleagues to create the conditions for success.
- Experience writing foundation grant proposals and reports as well as reviewing budgets and financial reports.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Training and/or experience related to staff management.
- Knowledge of Salesforce database is desirable.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines and manage workflow.
- Support for American Progress’ mission and commitment to a broad progressive agenda.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a plus.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.