The Vice President for Technology Policy is a new position that will lead American Progress’ efforts to design a progressive vision for technology policy. This leader will be expected to build and lead a dynamic, high-performing team from the ground up, fundraise, collaborate with other policy teams at American Progress on cross-cutting issues, and work in coalition with other organizations already in this space. We are committed to developing and advocating for policies that ensure technology and the prosperity that it generates broadly benefit all Americans; that guardrails are in place to protect against abuses of privacy, democracy, and civil rights and liberties; and that our regulatory frameworks promote robust competition designed to foster innovation. The ideal candidate will have deep technology policy or regulatory expertise, a strong command of technological trends and concepts, and relationships with key players in the field.
- Design and build a new Technology Policy team, including by setting its goals and strategic direction with American Progress’ Executive team, fundraising, hiring staff, and beginning to quickly draft and publish relevant policy briefs.
- Provide day-to-day management and direct the work of the Technology Policy team while simultaneously making individual research contributions.
- Quickly develop a proposed regulatory framework that can help shape and drive a national conversation on technology policy in the context of the coming presidential election.
- Assist team members in crafting and timing policy reports and rapid-response documents in a manner that makes them more relevant to the debate around technology policy.
- Engage with elected officials and their staff to build political support for key strategic priorities.
- Promote American Progress’ technology policy priorities and work products, both inside and outside the organization.
- Maintain relationships between the team and other American Progress teams, including the Executive, Government Affairs, Communications, Development, and Administrative teams.
- Strengthen the program by developing and maintaining relationships with funders who support the Technology Policy team’s programs.
- Represent American Progress’ Technology Policy team with policy decision-makers, the public, media, and other outside groups and individuals as necessary.
- Work closely with progressive allies to align strategic priorities and goals.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to technology policy debates in Congress and the administration; respond to requests for information from executive and other senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Advanced degree or its experiential equivalent is required, with a preference for a J.D. or an advanced degree in a technical field such as computer science.
- 10 or more years of relevant experience, with a proven track record in the field.
- Deep knowledge of technology policy and/or law.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic, long-term plans and implement them successfully.
- Knowledge of federal policymaking and working with Congress and federal agencies, as well as established relationships with policymakers, advocates, and community leaders across the progressive landscape, both inside Washington, D.C., and in the states.
- Excellent presentation and written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working with and motivating grassroots advocates outside Washington, D.C.
- Strong political instincts and experience working with coalitions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated aptitude at being entrepreneurial, self-sufficient, and self-directed.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.