American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Broadcast Communications. The Director will develop and execute strategies to increase the visibility of American Progress’ reports and experts across TV networks, digital streaming programs, radio, and podcasts. This person will work as a senior member of the Communications team and will be responsible for overseeing all interactions and partnerships with broadcast media. The Director will also work closely with American Progress’ Events staff to generate media interest in American Progress events, work on special projects, and collaborate with other members of the Communications staff to achieve maximum impact for American Progress’ work.
In conjunction with the Broadcast Coordinator, this position will pitch and book American Progress staff for interviews on TV, digital streaming programs, radio, and podcasts. In conjunction with American Progress’ Media Relations Manager, the Director will also lead regular media trainings for American Progress staff and progressive partners. On occasion, they will also lead individual prep sessions for interviews and will help oversee production of American Progress’ podcast, Thinking CAP.
The Director of Broadcast Communications will create and disseminate talking points to progressive allies and distribute memos and briefings to appropriate media outlets. They will also oversee the use of American Progress’ in-house TV and radio studios—both for staff and external vendors—and implement strategies to increase the studio’s utility. Moreover, they will arrange occasional meetings with American progress staff and political reporters, bookers, producers, and researchers to raise awareness about the organization’s work.
The role requires a deep understanding of the broadcast media environment, an assertive mindset, and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee all of American Progress’ broadcast interactions.
- Cultivate, maintain, and nurture broadcast, digital streaming, radio, and podcast relationships and partnerships on an ongoing basis.
- Actively pitch American Progress analyses and staff for broadcast appearances, including handling the necessary logistics and managing preparation and research.
- Act as the primary contact for TV producers, reporters, researchers, and hosts.
- Supervise the Broadcast Coordinator, who is responsible for radio and podcast outreach.
- Prepare and brief executive leadership for TV interviews.
- Create and disseminate key materials such as memos, talking points, and other work to progressive allies and appropriate media outlets.
- Run media trainings for American Progress staff and progressive allies.
- Generate press interest in American Progress events and act as the liaison to broadcast media at events.
- Field incoming press inquiries and determine the suitability and strategic value of engagement.
- Contribute to the broader media strategy on the Communications team.
Requirements and qualifications:
- A minimum of seven to nine years of experience in media and/or communications; background in broadcast media is strongly preferred.
- Experience preparing a principal for media appearances, or experience in media training, is a plus.
- Strong interest in media and public policy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.