American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Special Assistant for the Gun Violence Prevention team. The Special Assistant will assist the team with scheduling, event coordination, administrative tasks, and some research support as needed and as time allows. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the policy staff can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative support.
The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communication on behalf of senior staff. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals both internally and externally are important. Applicants must also be willing to develop and maintain familiarity with the team’s policy work and demonstrate an interest in gun violence prevention policy and advocacy.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences as needed.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, talking points, social media posts, and other documents/communications.
- Provide research, advocacy, and campaigns support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Prior work experience; summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to identify potential issues and solutions independently.
- Ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals and an interest in gun violence prevention policy and advocacy.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.