American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Press Associate for Generation Progress. Generation Progress is American Progress’ dynamic effort to help 18- to 35-year-olds make their voices heard on key issues and to empower new generations of progressive leaders. Generation Progress engages in advocacy and issue campaigns, including work on affordable higher education, gun violence prevention, criminal justice reform, climate change, immigration, and voting rights. The Senior Press Associate will be responsible for promoting Generation Progress’ issue advocacy, web content, events, and other work to the news media and the public; pitching Generation Progress staff, experts, and young network members as media spokespeople; coordinating and executing rollouts with campaign teams and Generation Progress’ Higher Ed, Not Debt project; producing radio and web content; and writing rapid-response content, including statements, advisories, press releases, and other materials.
- Handle media relations for Generation Progress, including the promotion of policy products, issue campaigns, web content, events, and other work to reporters, producers, organizations, and the general public.
- Produce written materials, including press releases, statements, advisories, talking points, and op-eds.
- Edit Generation Progress’ policy products and other original written content.
- Continuously identify media opportunities to uplift the voices of young people and Generation Progress’ issue experts through earned media tactics.
- Media train and pitch Generation Progress staff, network members, and storytellers as media spokespeople on key issues.
- Work with Generation Progress and American Progress teams to coordinate content and rollout of projects and products.
- Participate in planning and implementing media strategy around Generation Progress conferences and events.
- Produce weekly progressive talk radio segments, including coordinating weekly topics, booking guests, and drafting show rundowns.
- Work with Generation Progress’ Communications team and other members of the staff on coordinated digital media strategies.
- Coordinate and manage rapid-response in coordination with the American Progress and Generation Progress Communications teams.
- Develop and maintain databases of media contacts.
- Track all press mentions and earned media metrics.
- Together with Generation Progress’ Digital Media Associate, produce social media content, including tweets and social media graphics.
- Occasionally partner with American Progress policy teams and Generation Progress leadership on some original research and writing.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least two years of experience in communications and media relations.
- Experience in organizing, politics, or nonprofits.
- Strong media and outreach skills, including experience pitching media outlets, and strong knowledge of the political news media.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and research skills; knowledge of AP style.
- Knowledge of WordPress and media tracking/distribution tools is a plus.
- Familiarity with social media and tracking news developments through Twitter and Facebook.
- Creative talent and vision.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to absorb key policy issues and debates quickly and thoroughly.
- Commitment to and interest in the organization’s mission and goals.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
This position is budgeted at $50,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.