American Progress seeks a seasoned fundraiser with demonstrated people and program management experience to lead the individual and corporate fundraising program in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Senior Director of Development executes the fundraising efforts for individual and corporate donors on the organization’s Development team. This position engages the institution’s donors in American Progress’ work and impact while expanding the donor base to increase support. This position is ideal for a fundraiser who is entrepreneurial and has a track record of motivating others to succeed. This individual manages a team of three and will carry a personal portfolio of high-level donors. The position works closely with the Vice President of Development, the Managing Director of Foundation Relations, and the Director of Development Operations on the strategy for meeting the organization’s annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Development, implement a fundraising plan to retain and increase support from individual, corporate, and labor donors.
- Manage a portfolio of high-level donors to meet annual fundraising goals.
- Supervise gift officers and support staff, develop team goals, and manage progress toward achieving these goals, shifting strategies and tactics as necessary.
- Manage senior staff and principals’ development needs for fundraising travel, meetings, and calls—including staffing when appropriate.
- Solicit sponsorships and oversee benefits delivery for annual conference and reception.
- Manage the creation and dissemination of fundraising materials distributed to current and prospective donors, including but not limited to letters, emails, newsletters, proposals, presentations, and reports.
- Work with the Vice President of Development to establish and regularly monitor projections and revenue.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues on major gifts activities germane to their policy area/department and support their fundraising efforts.
- Support the strategic and operational planning within the Development team as appropriate, including managing a work plan and measuring fundraising effectiveness by agreed-upon metrics.
- Perform other duties as assigned and necessary.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate staff to succeed.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take initiative and to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Supportive of the mission of American Progress and commitment to a broad progressive agenda.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science is required.
- A minimum of eight years of fundraising experience with three to five years of direct management of staff, preferably at a nonprofit advocacy or policy-oriented organization, is required.
- Proven track record of soliciting and securing five- and six-figure gifts.
- Demonstrated success managing programs, volunteers, and staff, including coaching and developing the fundraising skills of both development and program staff.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and travel when necessary.
- Proficiency with Salesforce is desirable.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a plus.
This position is budgeted at $115,000.
This position is not represented by a union.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.