American Progress has an immediate opening for a Campaign Manager who will assist in coordinating strategic initiatives for the Criminal Justice Reform team, with a focus on efforts to expand opportunities for individuals affected by the criminal justice system.
One of the primary responsibilities of this position is coordinating the Clean Slate campaign. Clean slate is a policy model that uses technology to automate and automatically clear criminal records for individuals who meet the relevant criteria. Tens of millions of Americans with criminal records are currently eligible to have their records cleared, opening the door to employment, housing, and economic opportunity. However, the current process for filing a record-clearing petition in court is expensive and complex, meaning that the majority of people never get the chance they have earned. To address this gap, American Progress launched the Clean Slate campaign with a bipartisan coalition of more than 25 partner organizations that are advancing clean slate policies in jurisdictions nationwide.
The Campaign Manager will oversee the day-to-day operations of the campaign, assist in developing policies that provide opportunities for people involved in the justice system, and support related efforts to reduce the barriers associated with a criminal record. In addition, the Campaign Manager will help develop a broader portfolio of work to address reentry, barriers to opportunities caused by criminal records, the criminalization of poverty, and opportunities for people affected by the justice system. This work will include research, writing, and policy development.
- Coordinate the day-to-day operations of the Clean Slate campaign, including working closely with multiple American Progress teams and coalition partners to track progress across a variety of deliverables.
- Support the development of legislative and outreach strategies for advancing clean slate, reentry, and other related policy priorities at the intersection of criminal justice and poverty.
- Produce educational materials such as one-pagers, newsletters, and multimedia content related to criminal justice reform issues, especially those that intersect with poverty.
- Assist in devising communications and media strategies that include press releases, op-eds, talking points, and the strategic use of social media to advance policy priorities.
- Manage relationships with a transpartisan coalition of external partner organizations, including conducting ongoing communications and coordinating strategic planning efforts.
- Assist in organizing convenings at the state and national levels to raise awareness about the barriers associated with a criminal record and solutions for expanding opportunity for individuals involved in the criminal justice system.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; an advanced degree in a relevant social science or in public policy is preferred.
- Four or more years of professional experience in criminal justice reform advocacy or related fields.
- Exceptional project management skills with a very strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage quick‐turnaround deliverables as well as long‐term strategy implementation, reporting, and metrics tracking.
- Experience running, managing, or otherwise taking a leadership role in strategic advocacy campaigns.
- Experience working with people involved in or affected by the criminal justice system; expertise on the effects of the criminal justice system, including lived experiences, is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to build and manage relationships with a bipartisan coalition of organizations.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to think creatively and be a self-starter.
- Ability to absorb key policy issues and debates quickly and thoroughly.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.