American Progress seeks a Recruitment and Internship Manager to collaborate with internal hiring managers on all aspects of the recruitment and selection process for regular staff and interns. The ideal candidate is meticulous with details and excited to provide outstanding service to employees, candidates, and interns, while filling about 100 regular jobs each year. Expertise with nonprofit recruitment, a commitment to organizational diversity, and dedication to progressive ideals are required. This position, in collaboration with the Senior Director of Talent Management and Diversity Initiatives, is responsible for managing recruitment and selection processes as well as managing the internship program. Our robust internship program hires about 30 interns each spring, summer, and fall semester.
- Identify and implement recruitment strategies that diversify our applicant pool and improve current processes.
- Train hiring managers and team leaders on best practices in recruitment and selection and ensure applicable policies are followed.
- Collaborate with hiring managers to draft and edit position descriptions and job postings to ensure a large and diverse pool of candidates for every open position.
- Collaborate with the CAP employee union to ensure unit positions are properly identified and classified prior to posting.
- Make verbal job offers, draft written offer letters, and ensure completion of all prehire administrative tasks.
- Maintain the online careers page, jobs listserv, and all posting locations as well as identify ways to increase diversity of applicant pool.
- Analyze applicant data and adjust postings as needed to ensure diversity at all levels of the organization.
- Assist Human Resources team with onboarding processes and new employee orientations.
- Ensure compliance with federal and city regulations concerning employment and recruitment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain relationships with schools and programs of students in internships, including those with D.C.-semester programs.
- Partner with new schools and organizations to diversify pool of intern candidates, attending events on campus to advertise CAP programs.
- Collaborate with internal departments and teams to identify internship opportunities throughout the organization.
- Ensure staff who supervise interns are trained in best practices for selection and onboarding.
- Create and deliver programs and events for interns, including coordinating presentations by senior staff members.
- Work with the HR Director and the Legal team to ensure the internship program complies with relevant labor regulations.
- Serve as an advocate and mentor for interns.
- Keep accurate records of program details; maintain internship records and alumni listserv.
- Conduct exit interviews with interns to evaluate program and make changes as needed.
Requirements and qualifications
- At least five years of experience in recruiting, staffing, or placement.
- Outstanding attention to detail to ensure all employee documents and records are accurate.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use HR, recruiting, or applicant tracking systems.
- Understanding of the staffing needs and challenges of nonprofit organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to train staff and present information in an effective manner.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-driven environment and to handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative to improve processes and procedures to ensure outstanding service to candidates, hiring managers, organization employees, and the HR team.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the organization.
The position’s salary is budgeted at $70,000 per year.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.