American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director/Director of Editorial to join a small management team that works together to run all aspects of production on a day-to-day basis. A player-manager role, the Associate Director/Director will help assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to rapid-response columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment, the Associate Director/Director will contribute to the writing and editing of American Progress products; daily production of the website; hiring, training, and management of Editorial team staff; various digital projects including websites; and short- and long-term planning.
Ideal candidates will have a clear understanding of American Progress’ mission and a thoughtful approach to collaboration with a variety of writers and policy experts.
- Line edit and copyedit American Progress’ products, including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Manage a team of copyeditors.
- Help conceptualize and scaffold complex policy ideas and create narrative companion pieces that are accessible to large audiences.
- Write and/or project-manage large, organizationwide reports.
- Work collaboratively with policy team leads, functional teams, as well as the Managing Director and Managing Editor. Fill in for the Managing Director as needed.
- Work on the conception and execution of interactives, videos, and special projects related to edited reports and issue briefs.
- Conduct writing trainings with authors and editors.
- Edit and update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Help maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Help maintain the accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least seven years of writing and editing experience with the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to a general audience.
- Strong management skills to oversee a diverse team.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced journalistic environment under time constraints.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability and strong interest in training others, especially on writing best practices.
- Strong project management and problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Proficiency with AP Style and WordPress.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.