The Postsecondary Education team at American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director to advance our work around accountability and quality, as well as other issues in higher education, with an emphasis on equity. The Director will work with the Vice President for Postsecondary Education and other senior team leaders to run the daily operations of the team. This includes directly managing staff members; helping set the research agenda; and representing the team to policymakers, funders, and the public.
- Assist the Vice President with strategic planning.
- Manage and mentor the team’s Special Assistant and other staff that will be hired, and assist with day-to-day management of other members of the team.
- Work with staff to conceptualize and execute written products, including columns, issue briefs, and reports.
- Collaborate with the Vice President on fundraising and the team’s budget.
- Own the team’s work on quality and accountability, including defining, delegating, and executing the research agenda.
- Oversee the team’s response to the annual budget and appropriations cycle.
- Author a range of written products, including columns, issue briefs, reports, fact sheets, and op-eds.
- Present policy ideas and American Progress work to external partners, including press, policymakers, and the larger higher education community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Extensive and demonstrated knowledge of higher education issues, particularly those related to quality and accountability.
- Ability to conceptualize and execute a range of written products.
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex higher education concepts in clear and accessible written and verbal manners.
- Excellent time management skills, including balancing multiple projects with competing deadlines and keeping the work of other team members on track.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team in a fast-paced environment.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.