American Progress has an immediate opening for the position of Policy Analyst on the Women’s Initiative. This position would help advance a progressive agenda for women’s issues at the state, federal and local levels, supporting work on a range of issues that affect women and families, including advancing access to economic security, health care, and workplace structures that can help them better combine work and family life. A commitment to examining the diverse challenges facing all women—particularly women from different racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, as well as across disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and parental status, is essential.
- Develop and advance American Progress’ policies. This includes assisting in the generation of progressive policy ideas.
- Manage projects related to women’s policy issues, including conducting original quantitative and qualitative research and policy analysis and translating findings for a broader audience.
- Prepare articles, columns, issue briefs, fact sheets, opinion pieces, blog posts, and talking points.
- Analyze pending state and federal legislative proposals as well as administrative policies and regulatory changes, including research on relevant legal precedent and implications.
- Contribute to other American Progress initiatives as appropriate, including identifying crosscutting issues and projects.
- Participate in supporting coalition and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in relevant field; a master’s degree is preferred.
- At least four years of experience working on women’s policy issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Sense of humor and flexibility.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Passion for reproductive rights and justice is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Nonprofit and political experience is a plus.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.