American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director to lead the Video team. This is a player/coach position for a seasoned storyteller who is equally comfortable providing vision and creative direction and getting their hands dirty producing original short- and medium-form video content. The Director will work with staff to identify and develop strategic opportunities for video content as well as enterprise and pitch video ideas to amplify American Progress’ policy positions; provide creative direction consistent with American Progress’ brand and identity; manage a small team of video creatives, interns, freelancers, and contractors; and oversee American Progress’ livestreaming and archiving operations for internal and external live events. This visual leader must be comfortable with a diverse range of styles and techniques and have an interest in progressive ideas and policies.
- Work with internal stakeholders to create a strategic plan for video that aligns with American Progress’ goals and policy agenda.
- Collaborate with the Communications and policy teams to brainstorm and produce engaging video products, including rapid-response, explainer, promotional, fundraiser, and documentary storytelling videos.
- Produce, shoot, and edit original video content.
- Work with the Digital Strategy team to identify key topics and opportunities that leverage American Progress’ various social media channels.
- Manage and mentor junior staff and interns, as well as oversee the Video team’s day-to-day project workflow.
- Manage budgets for individual shoots and long-term gear and equipment planning, as well as contracts—including invoices and payments—with freelancers, vendors, and other contractors.
- Ensure that all products meet American Progress’ standards and arrive on schedule.
- Oversee livestreaming for internal panel events and high-profile external events such as the Ideas Conference featuring top thought leaders and policymakers.
- Be up to speed on the latest industry standards for digital video.
- Manage and develop the SeeProgress YouTube account.
- Inventory and manage equipment and gear and help ensure a clean and organized studio.
- Stay up to date on current events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Advanced interpersonal skills and the ability to lead a team.
- Highly creative.
- A strong portfolio that shows a demonstrated ability to produce engaging video content utilizing a range of techniques and visual styles.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Adobe Premiere.
- Familiarity with animation and illustration, including experience with Adobe After Effects, is not required but is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in film production, journalism, or communications is preferred.
- Eight to 10 years of experience producing video at a news agency, nongovernmental organization, nonprofit, production studio, or similar.
- One to two years of experience in a leadership position.
- Demonstrated ability to produce strong video content utilizing a range of techniques and visual styles.
- Familiarity with different social media platforms and how to create video products tailored to those audiences.
- Excellent organization and communication skills and a track record for on-time delivery with tight deadlines.
- Experience shooting with high-end prosumer and DSLR cameras, particularly the Canon C100 and C200 and Mark 5D series.
- Familiarity with livestreaming, including use of multicamera switchers and WireCast software.
- Ability to collaborate with the Art team to create a unified, cross-department visual style.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment where no two projects are the same.
- A strong interest in current events and progressive issues.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.