American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant to the LGBTQ Research and Communications Project. The Special Assistant will support the team in the production of timely policy research and analysis on a range of issues affecting LGBTQ Americans, including nondiscrimination protections and civil rights enforcement; health care; housing and homelessness; immigration; and family issues. The Special Assistant will also provide administrative support to the team’s Vice President and senior staff as well as for team meetings and events. Depending on the applicant’s qualifications, the Special Assistant may also provide communications and digital strategy support and/or develop additional expertise in independent policy research and writing.
- Provide administrative support to the team, including scheduling appointments and interviews; planning events and meetings; booking travel; and supporting development and fundraising efforts.
- Provide background research and otherwise support staff in drafting reports, articles, op-eds, and speeches on a wide range of LGBTQ civil rights issues.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage and other impact metrics.
- Process and submit invoices and administrative forms.
- Under the direction of the Vice President, monitor and expand American Progress’ LGBTQ social media presence.
- Coordinate with Editorial and team staff on upcoming team publications to ensure timely release and comprehensive tracking of product metrics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Highly organized with the ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Familiarity with LGBTQ policy issues.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Team player and good sense of humor.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of legislative and administrative policy change is a plus.
- Knowledge of social media platforms is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistical software packages is a plus.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position is budgeted at an annual salary of $40,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.