American Progress has an immediate opening for a Deputy Executive Director of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, the 501(c)(4) advocacy arm of American Progress. The Deputy Executive Director will work with the President of CAP Action to lead communications and advocacy staff to strategically advance the national conversation in support of progressive policies and challenge efforts that undermine such policies. Reporting to CAP Action’s President and Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director will oversee day-to-day operations and management of CAP Action staff and will be responsible for all administrative, finance, and program functions. The Deputy Executive Director is also expected to play a leading role in developing and implementing organizational strategies that advance CAP Action’s mission and vision.
The ideal candidate for this position will be well-versed in national politics and key policy debates; have a strong, demonstrated commitment to social justice; and bring political and communications savvy. The ideal candidate will also be an established and credible leader in the progressive movement with substantial management experience and a track record of successfully managing multiple projects and overseeing a diverse staff.
This role is an incredible opportunity to help lead a key progressive organization at a vital time for the country.
- Supervise and manage the daily operations and strategic direction of the CAP Action War Room team of nearly 20 staff.
- Work closely with each team lead within the CAP Action War Room to ensure strong collaboration and integration of work streams.
- Ensure that all advocacy projects are adequately supported with funding and staffing and that teams are meeting goals and deadlines.
- Oversee issue advocacy campaigns on a range of policy and political issues, working closely with policy teams such as Energy and Environment, Health, Immigration, and Democracy and Government.
- Represent CAP Action to the press and external stakeholders.
- Engage with donors and support fundraising efforts such as writing grant proposals and reports.
- Support long-term and strategic planning for CAP Action and help determine advocacy and policy priorities in concert with the CAP leadership team.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in a leadership role; experience with politics, advocacy, and nonprofit organizations is required.
- Executive-level management experience.
- Proven track record of building, motivating, and working with a team to accomplish project goals.
- Strategic and creative approach to campaigns.
- Ability to generate new ideas, projects, and programs.
- Strong organizational abilities, including planning, delegation, program development, and task facilitation.
- High level of comfort being a public advocate.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and ability to make meaningful and effective connections with a wide range of constituencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with colleagues of varied backgrounds.
- Strong understanding of the progressive movement and connections to progressive leaders and allies.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Working knowledge of American Progress’ issues and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.