The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Digital Director to execute the team’s digital strategy. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. In addition to defeating Donald Trump, it is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put Donald Trump on the defensive for his extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that the Democratic nominee leans into this issue, utilizing it as a sharp wedge against Trump, and lays the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and Trump’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This position is funded through the end of November 2020.
- Content creation: Create and manage a daily, weekly, and monthly calendar for content creation and distribution in collaboration with the leadership and digital teams. The digital team in the Climate War Room will create new content on a daily basis, including videos, graphs, charts, and more.
- Distribution: Design, launch, and oversee the execution of social media, email, and SMS programs. Conceptualize, help shape, edit, and approve content for online distribution, including social media content, video scripts, creative website content, and emails.
- Partnerships: Collaborate with proven content creators to tap into their expertise and networks.
- Amplification: Actively work with aligned grassroots organizations, surrogates, influencers, and media outlets to maximize the reach and impact of the Climate War Room’s content.
- Metrics: Manage and incorporate social analytics tools into the Climate War Room’s workflow in order to proactively capitalize on trending news stories, maximize the reach of the team’s content, and effectively respond to activity by opponents.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least five years of digital communications experience, including senior advocacy or electoral campaign experience.
- Deep digital communications experience with a track record of successful digital campaigns in the current media landscape.
- Keen understanding of how content is disseminated across all digital platforms.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response digital programs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to supervise a team successfully to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Experience integrating strategies across social media, email, SMS, and video in order to run cohesive, impactful digital campaigns.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Familiarity with Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, and other social listening tools.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.