The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Political Director to oversee political outreach to execute the team’s strategy. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. In addition to defeating Donald Trump, it is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put Donald Trump on the defensive for his extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that the Democratic nominee leans into this issue, utilizing it as a sharp wedge against Trump, and lays the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and Trump’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This position is funded through the end of November 2020.
- Outreach and coordination: Work with allies in the environmental, progressive, and political communities to broaden awareness of the Climate War Room’s resources, increase strategic alignment on climate communications in the 2020 elections, and amplify the impact of climate change on people’s lives.
- Collaboration: Work with the Climate War Room’s digital, communications, and research teams to advance priorities by identifying current and former elected officials willing and able to speak on the record to draw attention to Trump’s failure of leadership on climate change.
- Tracking: Monitor the engagement of political surrogates, particularly in key states, to identify interest and opportunities for partnering with the Climate War Room.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least five years of campaign or political experience, including senior advocacy or electoral campaign experience.
- Track record of effective coalition engagement, political judgment, and collaboration with external stakeholders and internal colleagues.
- Strong relationships with Democratic officials and party committees, such as the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and Democratic Governors Association.
- Ability to build consensus and resolve conflicts.
- Very strong communications and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to supervise a team successfully to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.