The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Research Director to execute the team’s research agenda. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. In addition to defeating Donald Trump, it is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put Donald Trump on the defensive for his extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that the Democratic nominee leans into this issue, utilizing it as a sharp wedge against Trump, and lays the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and Trump’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This position is funded through the end of November 2020.
- Opposition research: Identify and document Trump’s record on climate and energy. Document Trump’s anti-climate nominees, their policies, and statements. Identify the ways in which Trump’s energy policies have rewarded his largest donors. Work collaboratively with others who have conducted similar research to minimize duplication.
- Localizing research: Identify the state-specific effects of Trump’s anti-climate policies to help localize the impact in the key battleground states.
- Rapid response: Manage rapid response research projects related to Trump’s campaign, Fox News, or the fossil fuel industry.
- Public opinion research: Identify gaps in existing polling research and design surveys to test and sharpen messages.
- Tracking: Monitor storylines and attacks on climate action by Trump, his surrogates, and conservative media and identify when new attacks are being launched.
- Storytelling: Identify opportunities for climate-related earned media events.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least five years of research experience, including senior electoral campaign experience. Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
- Deep experience in overseeing sophisticated research programs with a track record of success.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategy and writing skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Strong research skills, including assessing voting records, campaign finance reports, financial and legal records, and research databases.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.