American Progress seeks a highly motivated Associate Director of Digital Strategy to bring a combination of creative, technology, and marketing experience, with proven success leading projects within policy change organizations. This position will be empowered to collaborate extensively with American Progress’ more than 20 policy teams and diverse strategic contributors to execute the organization’s digital strategy. The Associate Director of Digital Strategy will lead collaborations to define, measure, and achieve a diversity of policy and audience goals across all of the organization’s platforms and engage progressives across the country. This position also loves having fun at work and values the comradery that comes with being a part of a progressively minded and socially conscious organization like American Progress.
The Associate Director of Digital Strategy will be central to ongoing efforts to transform American Progress’ approaches and practices in order to increase collaboration and drive values across channels and siloes. To succeed, the ideal candidate will bring strong project management and consultative skills, and a data-driven approach to problem-solving. They will have a deep familiarity with the digital tools and methods needed to take advantage of diverse opportunities with a range of strategic audiences.
American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action. The organization’s aim is to change not just the conversation but also the country. The Digital Strategy team at American Progress is responsible for developing and operationalizing strategies to reach and engage the organization’s target audiences through digital channels such as web, social media, and online marketing. The team works closely with an extensive roster of highly respected resident thought leaders, policy professionals, and various functional groups in the organization to formulate and implement effective digital content strategies to connect with the organization’s audiences. We love what we do and have a lot of fun doing it.
- Work with teams to define, drive, and maintain digital content strategy across the organization, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and mission.
- Lead a matrix-managed group, also known as dotted line reporting, of digital strategy liaisons working with individual policy teams to both provide digital strategy support and take advantage of communications opportunities across web, email, social media, and other channels. This position will also be the direct liaison for a number of policy teams and similar efforts.
- Develop a plan for ongoing onboarding and training of the digital liaison to improve role definition and support the continued success of collaborations.
- Identify best practices and other ongoing learnings and ensure knowledge sharing across teams and contributors.
- Work with teams and stakeholders to identify communications and strategic goals and measure progress against them to tune strategies and outputs.
- Monitor content performance against strategic goals and develop roadmaps to tackle opportunities and problem areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least seven years of experience in digital and content strategy.
- Strong project management experience and proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities.
- Direct experience in a cross-functional role with proven success collaborating and communicating with content, technical, and development teams.
- Broad range of experience working with multiple CRMs, CMSes, email systems, and analytics packages.
- Excellent communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- A passion for progressive policy with an entrepreneurial mindset, including a focus on possibilities instead of obstacles.
- Proven ability to navigate ambiguity and change.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for self-sufficiency and self-direction.
- Agency experience is preferred.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.