The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Surrogate Program Director to enlist influencers, public officials, and other well-known individuals to elevate climate in the 2020 elections. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position that is funded through December 1, 2020.
- Influencer engagement: Oversee outreach to influencers, public officials, and celebrities who are interested in participating in events, press activities, and content amplification to help expose the Trump administration’s disastrous climate policies and their impacts on local communities.
- Content creation: Partner with digital, research, communications, and surrogates to develop content and events.
- Distribution: Work with surrogates to distribute and amplify social media content.
- Partnerships: Work with allies to leverage their surrogate networks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least eight years of communications experience, including experience working with influencer, public official, and celebrity surrogates. Electoral experience is a plus.
- Keen understanding of how to creatively partner with surrogates to amplify a campaign’s message.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to work collaboratively across internal teams and with external partners.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.