The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Director of Social Media to produce compelling social content, manage social media accounts, and develop and implement social engagement strategies. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position that is funded through December 1, 2020.
- Management of social media accounts: Manage, draft, and produce content for the Climate War Room’s social media channels.
- Engagement: Develop and implement social growth and engagement strategies for both planned campaigns and rapid response moments.
- Social strategy: Monitor social discovery tools and stay attuned to current events and trending content in order to identify strategic engagement opportunities. Identify and share performance insights to inform the team’s engagement strategies.
- Content creation: Work directly with the creative team to produce social graphics and video content.
- Influencers: Work with the Climate War Room’s Surrogate Program Director to monitor and manage relationships with progressive social influencers in order to amplify Climate War Room content.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least eight years of professional experience in social media or digital communications, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- A track record of running successful social media campaigns.
- A strong understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience working in fast-paced advocacy or electoral environments.
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid response scenarios.
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics tools.
- Experience using social media to drive meaningful online and offline actions.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Experience producing and launching persuasion or acquisition Facebook ads is a plus.
- Open to developing new skills and experimenting with new strategies and tactics.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.