The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Campaign Associate to work with the team’s Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director—along with Climate War Room staff—on event coordination, research, writing, and campaign support. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position that is funded through December 1, 2020.
- Campaign support: Work with the Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director to track and support the Climate War Room’s campaigns and activities, collaborating with the Communications, political, research and Digital Strategies teams.
- Track events and key climate moments: Develop and implement a campaign calendar to track key climate and electoral moments to identify opportunities for the Climate War Room.
- Support meetings and events: Participate in planning and executing substantive events, briefings, and meetings across a range of progressive organizations, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders. Provide support for all-staff meetings and public events.
- Scheduling: Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, and coordinate staff and visitor travel for the Climate War Room team.
- Research and writing support: Occasionally assist with writing and research tasks as needed.
- Administrative tasks: Process administrative forms and other tasks as assigned. Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least two years of professional experience. Electoral experience is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position offers a full and competitive benefits package.
The starting salary for the Campaign Associate position is $50,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.