The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Creative Director to lead a creative team responsible for developing innovative and compelling video and graphic content. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that the nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position that is funded through December 1, 2020.
- Content creation: Working with a multidisciplinary team, pitch, develop, and execute video and graphic projects to achieve the goals of the Climate War Room in alignment with the daily, weekly, and monthly calendar. Review and vet all creative content.
- Supervision: Manage staff and contractors to produce content that powerfully elevates climate in the context of the 2020 elections.
- Collaboration: Work closely across the Climate War Room’s digital, communications, research, and political teams to ensure content is tailored to the platforms and audiences the Climate War Room is trying to reach.
- Project management: Develop workflows for multiple concurrent projects and timelines and work with outside videographers and vendors to expand production capabilities and capacity.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least eight years of experience creating digital content, including senior advocacy or electoral campaign experience, with a focus on video and graphic design.
- Deep content creation experience with a track record of successful creative campaigns in the current media landscape.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to supervise a team successfully to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Experience integrating strategies across social media, email, SMS, and video in order to run cohesive, impactful digital campaigns.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS is preferred.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
- Candidates must provide a digital portfolio.
This position offers a full and competitive salary and benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.