The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has immediate openings for two Research Associates or Senior Research Associates to work with the team’s Research Director. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. These are limited-term positions that are funded through December 1, 2020.
- Opposition research: Work with the Climate War Room’s Research Director to identify and document the Trump administration’s record on climate and energy.
- Localizing research: Identify the state-specific effects of the Trump administration’s anti-climate policies to help localize the impact.
- Rapid response: Manage rapid-response research projects related to the Trump administration’s policies or the fossil fuel industry.
- Tracking: Monitor media, storylines, and attacks on climate action.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least two years of research experience for the Research Associate and four years for the Senior Research Associate. Electoral experience is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Climate issue advocacy is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position offers full and competitive benefits packages. The starting salary is $50,000 for a Research Associate and $56,000 for a Senior Research Associate.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.