The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for a Social Media Manager or Senior Social Media Manager to produce compelling social content, manage social media accounts, and develop and implement social engagement strategies. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. These are limited-term positions that are funded through December 1, 2020.
- Manage social media accounts: Manage, draft, and produce content for the Climate War Room’s social media channels.
- Engagement: Work with the Climate War Room’s Associate Director of Social Media to implement social growth and engagement strategies for both planned campaigns and rapid-response moments.
- Content creation: Work directly with the Climate War Room’s creative team to produce social graphics and video content.
- Influencers: Work with the Climate War Room’s Surrogates Program Director to monitor and manage relationships with progressive social influencers in order to amplify Climate War Room content.
- Tracking and metrics: Track social media performance, reach, and metrics. Identify and share performance insights to inform engagement strategies.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least three years of professional experience in social media or digital communications, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization. Electoral experience is a plus.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- A strong understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience working in fast-paced advocacy or electoral environments.
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid-response scenarios.
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics tools.
- Experience producing and launching persuasion or acquisition Facebook ads is a plus.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary for the Social Media Manager position starts at $56,000, and the salary for the Senior Social Media Manager starts at $62,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.