The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for two Design Associates or Senior Design Associates to support our in-house creative team with graphic design for social media, email, and websites as well as rapid-response design requests. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. These are limited-term positions that are funded through December 1, 2020.
- Content creation: Work with the rest of the creative team and broader Climate War Room to pitch, develop, and produce graphics, animations, and design products that advance the organization’s strategic priorities. Use graphics, data visualizations, and animation to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Rapid response: Develop graphic and design products to immediately respond to items in the news.
- Audience targeting: Work closely with the broader digital and communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and audiences that American Progress is trying to reach.
- Metrics and tracking: Maintain a creative archive that catalogues and categorizes social graphics, email wrappers and templates, video stills, and performance metrics.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Three to five years of professional experience working in graphic design. Electoral experience is a plus.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Microsoft Excel.
- Experience developing motion design and animation graphics.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Climate advocacy experience is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position offers full and competitive benefits packages.
The salary for the Design Associate starts at $56,000, and the salary for the Senior Design Associate starts at $62,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.