The Center for American Progress Action Fund seeks a highly motivated Research Associate to help CAP Action develop compelling and effective content that can help achieve the organization’s goals. The Research Associate will develop specific original research projects and execute daily rapid response to create accountability around the Trump administration’s policies and advocate for progressive policy alternatives.
Ideal candidates will have a strategic perspective on how to develop effective research and rapid response that can break through in a noisy media environment. They will be determined in identifying new research opportunities but also flexible and nimble in curating public content to be more digestible and effective on a daily basis.
The candidate will possess a curiosity to explore loose threads and the discipline to remain focused on existing priorities. The Research Associate will be collaborative and able to work across the War Room team as well as with multiple other teams as warranted. The CAP Action War Room is also looking for candidates who are able to demonstrate significant initiative to generate and execute ideas. This position is funded through December 31, 2020.
- Work with the Research Director and the CAP Action War Room to conduct, execute, and help disseminate hard-hitting research products along with daily rapid response that can help advance the organization’s goals and mission, including working closely with the Communications and Digital teams to develop compelling content.
- Curate public research, particularly regarding corruption, deception, and incompetence within the Trump administration and among its allies.
- Support potential rapid-response opportunities with timely research products and social media responses.
- Coordinate with allies to ensure work is aligned and not duplicative, while working with war room colleagues to amplify rapid response work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least four years of experience working on campaigns and/or in government.
- Strategic sense of what questions to ask and which trails to follow to have an impact with research.
- Dogged in tracking things down but able to understand when to relent.
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities while still meeting deadlines.
- Attention to detail, thorough, and reliable.
- Familiarity with key public databases and other tools for conducting necessary analyses.
- Deep commitment to progressive values and politics.
- Proven success collaborating and communicating with various teams to achieve goals.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to organize and distill findings for effective leadership decision-making.
- Focus on possibilities and not obstacles.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude at being self-sufficient and self-directed.
- Experience in digital and social media rapid-response environments.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.