American Progress seeks an experienced Accountant/Payroll Accountant with proven experience processing payroll and supporting enterprise travel. The ideal candidate will have outstanding attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to provide superior internal customer service. They will have recent experience in processing payroll for an organization with about 300 employees. This position will offer a full range of support in the primary areas of payroll and travel. The Accountant/Payroll Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and works closely with the Office Services and budget, planning, and forecasting teams.
Payroll and benefits accounting
- Serve as the primary contact for American Progress staff for all timesheet and payroll-related inquiries.
- Train staff on timesheet entry procedures and review timesheets to ensure accuracy.
- Maintain all earnings and deduction codes in the payroll system to ensure error-free processing.
- Collaborate with Human Resources staff to ensure the accuracy of onboarding and offboarding of staff.
- Process timesheet data in Ceridian for review by the Chief Financial Officer or Vice President of Finance before final commitment and payment to employees.
- Reconcile data among timekeeping, payroll, benefits, and general ledger systems, including related journal entries.
- Reconcile monthly benefit invoices to Ceridian to ensure accuracy of amounts paid.
- Reconcile payroll records to timely and accurate 401(k) contributions.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end management reports.
- Review all year-end documents, such as W-2s, Form 1095, and others, for accuracy and distribution.
- Communicate with federal and state tax offices as needed.
- Support the Office Services team in implementing organizationwide travel policies and procedures.
- Serve as American Progress’ Concur point of contact for expenses, travel requests, and user issues.
- Analyze and recommend Concur configuration changes to optimize user experience.
- Liaise with American Progress’ external travel partners to provide customer support for day-to-day employee and guest travel issues.
- Perform project and general ledger accounting work as necessary.
- Serve as a back-up for accounts payable.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of payroll, travel, and expense processing systems is preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience processing payroll is required.
- Multistate payroll processing experience is preferred.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with staff at all levels and build strong relationships.
- Strong administrative skills, including high proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be self-directed with the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detail oriented and able to produce error-free work.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change.
- Ability to take initiative and be accountable for actions.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
This position offers full and competitive benefits packages. The salary for this position is budgeted for $55,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.