American Progress is looking for a talented Application Developer to create technology platforms and software tools that advance progressive causes. The position is part of the Web Technology subteam on the Digital Strategy team, with the prime responsibility developing and maintaining a large portfolio of websites and software applications. Leveraging various technologies, tools, and techniques, the Application Developer works cross-functionally to gather requirements from various stakeholders, compile technical specifications, and develop high-quality software applications.
American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action. The organization’s aim is to change not just the conversation but also the country. The Digital Strategy team at American Progress is responsible for developing and operationalizing strategies to reach and engage the organization’s target audiences through digital channels such as web, social media, and online marketing. The team works closely with an extensive roster of highly respected resident thought leaders, policy professionals, and various functional groups in the organization to formulate and implement effective digital content strategies to connect with the organization’s audiences. We love what we do and have a lot of fun doing it.
- Gather requirements from users and stakeholders in order to compile technical specifications.
- Code and implement software solutions to meet requirements.
- Perform unit and integration testing and debug source codes.
- Evaluate existing applications and perform updates and modifications.
- Document procedures, technical recipes, and pseudocodes to represent the design and implementation details.
- Establish processes and implement technologies required to collect and analyze operational data.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the field.
- Experience with and understanding of structured and semistructured data standards (JSON CSV).
- Knowledge of Git or similar version control systems.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools and methods such as Microsoft Power BI, D3, and Tableau.
- Experience with relational databases and knowledge of SQL.
- Knowledge of agile software development concepts and techniques.
- Understanding of cloud technologies such as AWS.
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft Excel and business intelligence applications.
- Ability to analyze existing tools and technologies and provide solution recommendations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong skills in writing reports and presenting findings.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.