The Center for American Progress Action Fund’s Climate War Room has an immediate opening for an Assistant Communications Director to execute the team’s messaging, media strategy, and overall communications strategy alongside the Communications Director. The 2020 presidential election will be a defining moment in the nation’s ability to address the climate crisis. It is critical that the next president and Congress emerge from the election emboldened to act on climate change.
The Climate War Room will engage in the presidential election using research, earned media, and digital content to spur a national conversation on climate. The team will elevate the threat of climate change and shape the conversation on solutions; put the Trump administration on the defensive for its extreme positions; and rebut attacks from the fossil fuel industry and their allies. It will also ensure that nominees lean into this issue and lay the groundwork for legislative success in 2021 and beyond.
The Climate War Room is an independent project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club—three organizations committed to making the urgency of climate change and the Trump administration’s opposition to action critical to the 2020 political conversation. This is a limited-term position funded through December 1, 2020.
- Develop and drive the earned media strategy. Work with the Climate War Room Communications Director to develop, manage, and update a daily, weekly, and monthly calendar to drive coverage that highlights Trump’s anti-climate policies, draws attention to the effects of his administration’s policies, and elevates the consequences of climate change on people’s lives.
- Identify and prioritize rapid response to developing news stories and manage press and surrogate outreach.
- Conduct frequent and consistent outreach to reporters and columnists covering the 2020 election.
- Oversee outreach to influencers who are interested in engaging in events, press activities, and more to help expose the Trump administration’s disastrous climate policies and their impacts on local communities.
- Organize state-based earned media events in partnership with local organizations, surrogates, and ordinary Americans whose lives have been affected by climate change.
- Develop and place opinion pieces in local papers.
- Track coverage, analyze results, and adjust strategy.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least seven years of communications experience, including electoral campaign experience. Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of working effectively in a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.