American Progress is seeking a Budget Analyst to help manage the financial planning and operations of the organization’s portfolio of programs and projects. The Budget Analyst will join a hardworking team of professionals on the Budget Planning and Forecasting team who strive to provide timely, reliable, and valuable business operations support and expertise to the organization. As a member of the team, the Budget Analyst will collaborate with internal and external customers to play an active role in the overall financial success and operational efficiency of American Progress.
Program financial management
- Provide budgetary and planning support to program and project managers.
- Use American Progress internal business applications in conjunction with Microsoft Excel to proactively provide in-depth analyses to forecast project and program costs, develop staffing plans, and provide various financial reports, including actual and projected costs.
- Proactively monitor and prepare routine financial analyses of projects to compare plans vs. actuals to ensure the data are in alignment with program projections, identify any potential risks—such as to funding or period of performance—and propose reallocation of funds and reclass expenses when necessary.
- Review, analyze, and assist in the development of staffing projections and work in conjunction with program managers, project managers, and group leadership to identify gaps required to meet program or project needs.
- Actively engage with American Progress’ leadership, keeping them abreast of potential concerns, risks, and competing priorities.
- Assist the Budget Planning and Forecast team in preparing organizationwide deliverables such as quarterly forecasts, midyear budgets, and annual budgets for review by senior finance and executive leadership for presentation to the board of directors for approval.
- Respond to financial data calls—recurring and ad hoc.
Proposal budgeting and preparation
- Lead financial proposal development in response to requests for proposals and letters of intent.
- Work with program managers, project managers, and development leads to assess solicitation requirements; assist in the development and review narratives of scopes of work; identify resource requirements such as labor, supplies, travel, and contracts; and develop cost proposals.
- Prepare financial narratives and use information from the internal accounting ERP system to report financials in support of contractual requirements and per the request of customers and program managers.
- Partner with program managers and the Development team on project planning in order to forecast spending that will support the execution of agreed upon milestones and deliverables.
- Follow the grant cycle from proposal to closeout, ensuring compliance and financial strategies are executed throughout, including by keeping grant files up to date with all pertaining support documentation.
Quality assurance and business-related functions
- Perform quality reviews of business support requirements, including proposals, cost impacts, deficit spending, precontract authorization requests, hiring, and other financial and program-related documents.
- Enter, manage, and maintain internal information systems, ensuring all department, program, project, and grant data are complete and updated as needed—including in ERP, Concur, Salesforce, and other systems.
- Prepare routine and complex journal entries and make time adjustments as needed to assist the monthly close process.
- Engage and collaborate with all levels and groups of staff and field requests, responding to queries related to the assigned portfolio.
- Seek new innovations to enhance quality, customer service, business processes, quality review meetings, and responses to data calls.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a business area such as accounting, business administration, finance, economics, or other relevant field.
- At least two years of relevant experience in the areas of financial and cost analysis, management control, and/or proposal preparation.
- Comfortable working with a team in a fast-paced environment and meeting multiple tight deadlines.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability as a self-starter with a high level of initiative, critical thinking, and ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Active listener with a strong work ethic and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Previous experience working with an ERP accounting system such as Sage, Oracle, or SAP, with a preference for Unanet.
- Working knowledge of data visualization software such as Power BI, Tableau, or another analytics software.
- Ability to develop briefing materials and graphical presentations, as well as ability to make formal oral presentations of these materials to all levels of staff.
- Experience working with senior staff and providing guidance and training.
- Knowledgeable of the project management process.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.