American Progress has an immediate opening for a Digital Media Associate on the Generation Progress team. Generation Progress is the young adult engagement and empowerment arm of American Progress. Through digital advocacy, grassroots organizing, and policy analysis, Generation Progress works with and for 18- to 35-year-olds to drive progressive change and engage them in the democratic system through the progressive issue areas they care about. With feedback from the Senior Director of Communications and Digital Strategy, the Digital Media Associate will coordinate and operate all aspects of Generation Progress’ online presence, including digital communication, website management, email marketing, social media administration, and database management.
Applicants should have fluency in email marketing systems and experience creating and maintaining websites, managing social media accounts, and working within databases. Experience with and understanding of digital ads and list-growing or previous work in digital or communications strategy is a plus. The Digital Media Associate must have the ability to contribute innovative ideas for content and problem-solve.
This position requires the capacity to manage a heavy workflow of requests efficiently and with the diligence to check all work for accuracy and completeness. Applicants must enjoy detail-oriented work and troubleshooting as well as developing project ideas and driving them to completion.
- Website maintenance: Maintain GenProgress.org’s advocacy actions and functionality. With the support of American Progress’ Technology team, provide technological support to Generation Progress staff and website users.
- Social media: Manage Generation Progress’ social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube; keep a pulse on current social media trends, language, users, and best practices; and work with the Senior Director of Communications and Digital Strategy to launch intensive and granular lead-generation ad campaigns across several social media platforms.
- Digital content: Create informative and compelling graphics and visual content in support of Generation Progress’ issue campaigns; work cohesively with the team’s issue-focused advocacy associates.
- Database management: With the support of their supervisor, meticulously manage data within EveryAction and implement techniques to track every user’s digital interactions with Generation Progress’ digital actions.
- Email marketing: With the support of their supervisor, analyze email stats and make recommendations for improvement; grow email lists; and create and send emails about Generation Progress’ reports, actions, successes, and events.
- Campaign development: Assist in the development and implementation of online issue campaigns; support the Generation Progress advocacy team’s creation of issue campaign pages on the Generation Progress site.
- Metrics reporting: Analyze statistics, create weekly reports, and apply that knowledge to improve marketing and outreach.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Web development skills are required. Basic understanding of HTML and CSS is a plus.
- At least two years of experience in digital and social media, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complicated ideas in simple terms.
- Social media management skills: Ability to manage a consistent brand across multiple platforms in a timely manner and familiarity with social media growth tracking and analytics.
- Interest and experience in email marketing: The ideal applicant will have some experience with email marketing and a strong interest in becoming an expert.
- Project management skills: Ability to manage tasks and workflow and work within the Generation Progress team to meet deadlines; strong attention to detail.
- Collaboration skills and flexibility: Ability to pitch ideas and keep staff up to date on projects, work closely with the Senior Director of Communications and Digital Strategy and Generation Progress Advocacy Associates on projects with changing priorities and deadlines, and work as part of a team.
- Marketing sense: Ability to and step outside of Generation Progress’ perspective to see communications from the user’s perspective; ability to thoroughly navigate all websites and emails to ensure an intuitive experience for the end user as well as effective communication.
- Problem-solving skills: Self-motivated and able to solve complex problems in an innovative, effective, and timely manner.
- Commitment to Generation Progress’ progressive mission and goals.
The following are preferred but not required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Graphic design experience and proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, or Flash.
- Experience working in email management systems.
- Experience with video editing.
- Experience creating interactive, new media packages for websites.
- Experience with WordPress or similar website systems.
- Experience with emerging tools for online collaboration and communication.
- Experience training fellow professionals on computer applications or databases.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 with a starting salary of $50,000. American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.