American Progress is seeking an Associate Director or Director of Government Affairs within the External Affairs department. The External Affairs department works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks. Precise areas of policy responsibility are not yet determined but could include some of the following: education, national security, energy and environment, democracy and government, early childhood, and youth engagement.
- Work closely with the Government Affairs team to initiate, manage, and/or coordinate outreach to federal policymakers in the U.S. Congress and officials in the executive branch.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work product by developing effective and innovative dissemination strategies to administration officials, members of Congress, and staff.
- Ensure that the administration, Capitol Hill staff, and non-Capitol Hill staff view American Progress as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues on which American Progress has expertise.
- Actively identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ President and CEO and policy staff as expert witnesses for congressional hearings and meetings.
- Work with relevant American Progress teams to produce, promote, and develop legislative and communication outreach strategies, often playing a project manager role.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to Congress and the executive branch, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least seven years of government affairs experience for the Associate Director and at least eight years of experience for the Director.
- Ability to work with numerous teams simultaneously and prioritize a large number of tasks.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest and experience in a substantive policy area.
- Familiarity with the executive and legislative branches of government.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team, and to be innovative and creative.
- Proven ability to combine policy recommendations with appropriate communications and political dimensions.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.