American Progress has an opening for a Direct Appeal Manager to join the Development team. In its second year, the Direct Appeal program’s goal is to introduce American Progress to new audiences who can be converted to donors and to generate gifts from other donors who can be upgraded to become strong American Progress supporters and advocates. The program is budgeted to raise $250,000 through email, website creative, lead-gen, after-action appeals, and other digital fundraising initiatives.
The Direct Appeal Manager will be a team player with demonstrated success in digital fundraising communications that convert lists to donors. They will also have impressive project management skills, impeccable attention to detail, demonstrably successful appeal writing, a passion for digging into numbers to understand and articulate data trends, and the ability to build cross-team consensus among colleagues and approvers.
The Direct Appeal Manager will be passionate about progressive values; demonstrate and inspire unrelenting adherence to deadlines; nimbly manage multiple tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment with multiple approvers; and show genuine excitement about the opportunity to take the Direct Appeal program to the next level.
Please submit and combine a resume, a brief appeal writing sample, and a cover letter demonstrating how you fill the requirements. Resumes without cover letters, a writing sample, and previous direct marketing/fundraising experience will not be considered. Please note this is a limited-term position ending on December 31, 2022, with the possibility for permanent employment to follow.
- With the Senior Director of Development and the Director of Digital Strategy, manage direct appeal strategy and execution for American Progress, including through email, website creative, acquisition/lead-gen, donation forms, autoresponders, etc.
- Develop and manage American Progress’ direct appeal campaign calendar, including managing up and working with cross-team colleagues to ensure deadlines and deliverables are met.
- Develop and manage the execution of the strategic components of donor-centric appeals, including writing an average of seven appeals per month, including original appeals, forwards, statement-type messages, etc.
- Report on and analyze cross-channel revenue performance, support testing strategies, and apply lessons to future campaigns.
- Collaborate with the Communications team and policy and creative teams to translate policy ideas into engaging fundraising content.
- Work closely with communications and operational colleagues to ensure segmented messaging and robust tracking.
- With the Senior Director of Development and the Director of Digital Strategy, support American Progress’ relationships with consultants and other vendors.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least three to four years of professional experience in direct appeal writing and management at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization is required.
- Excellent fundraising writing skills and impeccable proofreading skills with sound editorial, strategic, and ethical judgment.
- Experience implementing email design, segmentation, A/B testing, and other best practices.
- Experience tracking relevant and accurate metrics to inform strategy.
- Demonstrable relationship skills to manage with influence and inspire results from cross-team colleagues and vendor partners to execute the Direct Appeal strategy.
- Ability to create a campaign story arc while also maintaining agility to accommodate rapid-response messaging to drive revenue.
- Creativity with a commitment to innovation and entrepreneurialism, as well as the drive, desire, and long-term vision to take the Direct Appeal program to the next level.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive policy.
- Proficiency with the entire Microsoft Office suite.
- SmartSheets, Salesforce, and Engaging Networks experience is a plus.
- Strong relationship skills with solid project management experience.
- Unwavering commitment to the department’s progressive, donor-centric, and entrepreneurial values. Demonstrates integrity, makes decisions driven by data, and has a commitment to fostering a culture of mutual respect.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.