With Americans facing an increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build up the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and CAP Action is committed to leading the way.
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships to lead this new project, which encompasses everything from coordinating and amplifying key progressive voices, providing guidance and support to some of the largest progressive pages on social media, creating compelling unbranded custom content, and building up higher-engagement Facebook pages for the progressive movement’s media personalities.
A strong candidate for this role will lead a growing team that builds relationships across the progressive media landscape in order to promote messaging and content and ultimately improve the performance of progressive messaging online to help close the engagement gap on progressive content. The Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships’ responsibilities include developing the strategy for and managing a team that builds partner relationships, identifying and pursuing engagement opportunities across channels and platforms, and providing strategic content and social listening guidance to prominent progressive personalities and organizations.
Strong candidates for this role will have a keen understanding of how content gets disseminated across digital platforms, strong familiarity with progressive influencers and accounts, and experience developing and executing on multifaceted digital communications campaigns.
- Work with the Vice President of Digital Strategy to develop a long-term strategy for the program while managing a growing team of strategists and team leads across partnerships, analytics, and content strategy.
- Build relationships with progressive operatives at advocacy organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, media personalities and companies, and other high-level partners including influencers and former candidates.
- Work with the CAP Action senior team to set the strategic direction for the War Room, including the development of new projects and priority campaigns.
- Work closely across the War Room team to ensure that a partnerships lens and distributed content strategy are integrated into all campaigns and efforts as appropriate.
- Promote project priorities and work products to internal stakeholders, external partners, and funders.
- Keep CAP Action staff updated on news and events relevant to social media and the progressive space.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of Project Echo; establish key metrics, analyze results, and adjust strategies when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least eight to 10 years of professional experience in strategic digital communications, social media, audience development, and/or digital content creation.
- Previously demonstrated team leadership skills and a high level of competency managing a multifunctional team.
- Strong relationships across the progressive movement.
- Political experience on a campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Strong familiarity with social listening tools and analytics platforms such as CrowdTangle, NewsWhip, Facebook Insights, Twitter analytics, etc.
- Expert networking skills.
- Proactive and a self-starter.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $110,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.