With Americans facing an increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build up the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and American Progress is committed to leading the way.
A strong candidate for this role will have a deep understanding of how to develop and execute multifaceted digital communications campaigns that engage and grow audiences across platforms to bolster the organization’s priority issue campaigns. The Director of Digital Engagement’s responsibilities include managing a team of digital strategists who oversee American Progress’ owned channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and email lists.
- Work with the Vice President of Digital Strategy and the rest of the senior digital team to develop a long-term engagement strategy for American Progress’ digital channels.
- Manage a team of strategists who oversee American Progress’ email, social media, and rapid-response programs.
- Collaborate with the rest of the digital team and other stakeholders throughout the organization to define, drive, and maintain digital engagement strategies across all channels, ensuring alignment with American Progress’ goals and mission.
- Work with the American Progress senior team to set the strategic direction for the War Room, including the development of new projects and priority campaigns.
- Work closely with our Social Media Manager and Rapid Response Manager to develop the strategic direction of our social media program in a way that boosts overall engagement across platforms, builds American Progress’ follower base, and advances its priority campaigns.
- Work closely with the Email Manager to shape American Progress’ email marketing strategy—including acquisition; list engagement; and upkeep—identifying key performance indicators (KPIs) and opportunities to use email subscribers to effectively advance American Progress’ strategic priorities.
- Work with the analytics and partnerships teams to incorporate social listening insights and email analytics and craft a data-driven strategy to increase engagement and boost KPIs.
- Maintain and further hone American Progress’ voice and tone across channels in order to build brand identity while maintaining flexibility for platform-specific content and messaging.
- Provide constructive feedback on and approve social and email content.
- Identify opportunities for cross-platform promotion and coordination.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least eight years of professional experience in strategic digital communications, email marketing, social media, and/or digital content creation.
- Previously demonstrated team leadership skills and a high level of competency managing a multifunctional team.
- Political experience on a campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Strong familiarity with EveryAction, Blue State Digital, MailChimp, Constant Contact, and/or other email marketing platforms.
- Familiarity with social listening tools and analytics platforms such as CrowdTangle, NewsWhip, Facebook Insights, Twitter analytics, etc.
- Proactive and a self-starter.
- Creative and committed to innovation and experimentation.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $90,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.