American Progress has an opening for a Legal Assistant to join the Legal department. The Legal department manages legal matters for the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and educational think tank, as well as its affiliated 501(c)(4) organization, the Center for American Progress Action Fund.
CAP is a progressive think tank working on issues across the policy spectrum, placing special emphasis on developing a long-term vision of a progressive America and finding innovative ways to communicate policy analyses, prescriptions, and vision. CAP Action is an advocacy voice that works on public education, lobbying, and limited political activities. Both organizations engage in expansive programmatic activities, which include policy research, publications and web content, public events, and partnerships with other organizations.
The legal issues facing these organizations are diverse and intricate. The Legal department works closely with management, staff, and contractors in a fast-paced environment to design and implement procedures to ensure legal compliance and train employees on these rules. It also responds to the daily legal needs of the organization. Legal areas of focus include nonprofit tax law, ethics and lobbying rules, election law, contracting, corporate governance, media law, and employment law.
This is a great opportunity for individuals contemplating law school to participate in running an active nonprofit organization’s legal infrastructure and learn what it is like to work as in-house counsel. As a member of the Legal team, the Legal Assistant will have a number of regular responsibilities and work on a variety of discrete projects, providing broad exposure to compliance structures for an array of different legal areas.
- Assist in-house lawyers with ensuring organizational compliance with IRS and Federal Election Commission rules as well as lobbying disclosure requirements, congressional ethics rules, and other areas of the law.
- Revise, update, and organize legal documents and guidance.
- Draft, manage, and execute contracts.
- Perform administrative duties for the general counsel and provide general support to in-house lawyers.
- Assist with legal trainings for staff and resolving routine legal issues or questions.
- Research and analyze legal rules and best practices.
- Assist with coordinating board of directors meetings and addressing other corporate governance issues.
- Perform other legal and administrative duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One to two years of experience is a plus, but not required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent research, writing, and data analysis skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work on broad topics and balance multiple projects at once.
- Positive attitude, a sense of humor, and a team-oriented ethic.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is not represented by the union and has a starting salary of $40,000. American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.