American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director for Advocacy and Communications on the Postsecondary Education team. The Associate Director will manage all of the team’s advocacy and outreach work. About three-quarters of the Associate Director’s time will be spent on advocacy, coalition, and cross-team work, including creating and executing a strategy to educate policymakers such as Hill staff about the team’s proposals and priorities. The remainder of the role will focus on developing effective rollout plans related to product releases in coordination with the Communications and Government Affairs teams, coordinating projects across teams, and engaging in ongoing campaigns to promote the team’s work.
- Develop and implement educational, legislative, and advocacy strategies at the local, state, and national levels for the team.
- Serve as the primary liaison for the team on the Hill and with partner organizations.
- Work with diverse partners, teams, and organizations to develop and implement legislative and political strategies for higher education policy.
- Develop, manage, and strengthen coalitions for the team, particularly around federal proposals related to higher education equity, accountability, affordability, and quality.
- Coordinate with other teams at American Progress on shared goals and projects.
- Oversee the release of major team products, construct product rollouts, commission social media shareables, and identify other activities to garner attention.
- Create short products, such as fact sheets, statements, and talking points, that can be used for advocacy purposes.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute public and private events for the team, including Hill briefings, private roundtables, and public events.
- Coordinate work with Generation Progress, the youth and young adult arm of American Progress, and its Higher Ed, Not Debt campaign.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Past experience managing federal advocacy efforts, preferably but not necessarily in higher education. This includes working in roles on Capitol Hill, in government affairs, as part of a large coalition, or any equivalent experience.
- Experience operating in high-stakes environments and producing high-quality, accurate products under tight deadlines.
- Keen eye for new opportunities to advance messaging; knowledge of how to balance limited resources to ensure their greatest effect.
- High level of flexibility and creativity with the ability to solve problems and identify creative approaches to challenges.
- Ability to draft written products in multiple formats that are concise and easy to follow while maintaining important nuances.
- Strong understanding of how to develop and maintain connections and relationships to make advocacy efforts more effective. This experience may include participating in and leading one-on-one, small, and large group meetings, teams, or coalitions.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of work quality.
- At least five to eight years of experience in strategic advocacy, government relations, working on Capitol Hill, or an equivalent form of specialized expertise. This time can include a period spent pursuing additional education.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $75,000 and is not represented by the union.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.