American Progress is seeking a highly motivated, creative professional with strong communications and leadership skills to serve as the Associate Director for Story Bank. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan education and advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through ideas and action. CAP Action animates the stakes of political and policy debates by driving new analysis of key issues and existing research that demonstrates the value of progressive solutions and quantifies the true cost of conservative policies. With deep partnerships in Washington, D.C., and across the country, CAP Action arms state and national allies with the tools necessary to promote progressive policies.
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director to join the CAP Action War Room’s growing Story Bank team. The CAP Action Story Bank team personalizes the fights and policy debates by lifting the voices of everyday Americans through a variety of creative mediums. The Associate Director will help lead CAP Action’s Story Bank work including managing staff and helping to drive strategic priorities in partnership with the Senior Director.
- Reach out to and vet storytellers on policy priorities and other rapid-response opportunities.
- Direct, support, and manage the work of Story Bank Associates.
- Maintain tracking documents and analyze performance of products.
- Help set strategic priorities for the team, in partnership with the Senior Director of Story Bank, based on overall War Room and institutional goals, as well as on the shifting communications landscape.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with storytellers.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, letters to the editors, and a range of written products. Work with the Story Bank and Communications teams to help place those products.
- Build relationships with external partners that may yield storytellers and assist in any training or organizing of storytelling work with state partners.
- Work with the Digital team to develop content, such as quote graphics, based on strong statements from storytellers.
- Keep metrics of interactions with storytellers.
- Help ensure prospective storytellers can more easily utilize American Progress’ website to submit stories.
- Participate in planning and executing substantive events, rallies, meetings with legislators, and other efforts with the storytellers in Washington, D.C., and across the country.
- Provide administrative and substantive support to the Story Bank team.
- Oversee the backend/database of multilayered Story Bank.
- Help draft funder proposals and reports as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least five years of work experience in campaigns, field, advocacy, communications, or related fields is preferred.
- Ability to manage entry-level staff by providing clear direction with consistent support and guidance.
- Ability to multitask, set priorities, and adapt in fast-changing environments.
- Demonstrate good judgement and emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with external partners.
- Highly creative with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive and collaborative attitude toward work.
- Ability to learn new policy issues quickly.
- Ability to work well within a team under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $75,000 and is not represented by a union.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.