American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director of Design to join a growing creative team with the War Room. The War Room’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
A strong candidate for this role will work as part of a team that creates infographics, advertisements, websites, email newsletters, and videos. The Associate Director of Design’s responsibilities include developing new brand identities and logos; designing and curating content for social media channels; and designing newsletters and microsites as needed.
The ideal candidate should be able to read and translate complicated data and information into easy-to-interpret visual representations with little or no direction. The Associate Director of Design will manage and provide mentorship to a Design Associate and be responsible for helping track products from start to finish.
This is a full-time position funded through April 2022.
- Project manage, optimize, and execute design projects that advance American Progress’ strategic goals.
- Work with American Progress’ leadership team and policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using design to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Manage a Design Associate.
- Brainstorm, pitch, and execute ideas for graphic content for the organization’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter channels.
- Work with the Director of Design to create and develop strong brand identities for the organization’s social channels.
- Optimize and version out American Progress graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to maximize key performance indicators, including shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Create charts, graphs, and infographics from data, working with policy teams.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis.
- Work with American Progress’ Web Tech team to design microsites from start to finish.
- Work with the Director of Design and policy teams to create scripts for products that advance American Progress’ messaging in digestible, shareable formats.
- Perform project management and tracking duties as assigned.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in design.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related major, and five to seven years of professional design experience.
- High-level proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment as well as with the Microsoft Office suite.
- A strong portfolio of design work and/or portfolio website.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS is preferred.
- Highly creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $75,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.