American Progress has an immediate opening for a Graphic Designer to join a growing creative team with the War Room. The War Room’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates. This person will support the War Room’s in-house creative team with graphic design for social, email, and websites as well as rapid response design requests.
American Progress is looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling graphic content, with an emphasis on designing for social media. Americans are more oversaturated with media than ever, and the team is looking for someone who can help create shareable, digestible content that breaks through the clutter and grabs people’s attention. A strong candidate for this role is passionate about progressive politics and has a strong foundation in design principles.
This is a full-time position funded through April 2022.
- Work with the rest of the creative team and broader War Room to pitch, develop, and produce graphics and design products that advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Use graphics and data visualizations to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Work closely with the broader Digital and Communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and audiences that the team is trying to reach.
- Coordinate with the Story Bank team to help develop compelling creative products from personal stories.
- Work with the Director of Design and policy teams to create scripts for products that advance American Progress’ messaging in digestible, shareable formats.
- Optimize and version out American Progress graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to maximize key performance indicators, including shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Create charts, graphs, and infographics from data, working with policy teams.
- Help maintain a creative archive that catalogs and categorizes social graphics, email wrappers and templates, video stills, and performance metrics.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in graphic design for social and email.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Three to five years of professional experience working in graphic design.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Intermediate proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and Microsoft Excel.
- The ability to thrive in a high-stakes, deadline-driven environment.
- A strong portfolio of design work and/or portfolio website.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 at union level 3 and has an approximate starting salary of $56,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.