American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant to join the Development team. The Special Assistant will be an integral part of the Development Operations unit and work closely with front-line fundraisers to provide support for a robust fundraising program in a fast-paced environment. This individual will be responsible for handling Salesforce database entry, reporting, and audits; serving as the first point of contact for donor inquiries; and liaising with the Executive and Finance teams on administrative matters, among other activities. This position requires a well-organized, detail-oriented professional committed to a progressive policy agenda and American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
- Accurately record donations and payments received by the Development team in the database daily.
- Produce accurate and timely gift receipts, disclosures, and acknowledgement letters for all donations; prepare invoices on an as-needed basis; draft new acknowledgment templates annually; draft other error-free and clearly written donor correspondence as requested by the Vice President, CEO, and Senior Director of Development.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service using logic and problem-solving skills, serve as the Development team’s primary point of contact for donor and internal staff inquiries, and deftly handle or elevate questions as appropriate.
- Perform scheduled and ad hoc database activities, including report generation, data audits, and data entry, following documented procedures.
- Provide daily administrative support to the Vice President of Development.
- Provide administrative support to the individual and corporate giving units, including scheduling, event planning logistics, and meeting preparation.
- Maintain current documentation for the position’s business processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least one year of professional experience in a development department.
- Prior experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management databases, such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrated commitment to precision, accuracy, timeliness, clarity, and detail.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication and interpersonal and customer service skills, with an emphasis on timeliness.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and a broad progressive agenda.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Demonstrated flexibility and eagerness to learn.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to follow documented and verbal instructions and ask clarifying questions.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and accurately meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Prior experience with Confluence is a plus.
- Prior experience with online donation platforms—including Engaging Networks, Salsa, and Luminate Online, among others—is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. This position is not represented by a union and has a starting salary of $40,000 annually. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.