American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant on the Immigration team. The team is devoted to winning legalization and a pathway to citizenship for the 10.4 million undocumented immigrants living in the country, and reforming the nation’s immigration, asylum, and refugee systems to be more fair, humane, and workable. The successful candidate will be guided by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation but also changing the country. The Research Assistant will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s immigration policy work, within a wider department focused on Rights and Justice (including Criminal Justice, Disability Justice, Religion and Values, Gun Violence Prevention, LGBTQ Rights, and Racial Equity and Justice).
In addition, this position will support American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Provide a range of research support to the team and department, from background research—in English and Spanish—to primary source work, on a range of emergent issues.
- Draft talking points, fact sheets, and co-author or author columns and issue briefs on a range of team priority areas.
- Assist the team with research and advocacy help on Hill-related matters around the team’s major priorities.
- Manage the @CAPimmigration Twitter account and take a leading role in crafting the team’s social media strategy.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, and coordinate staff and visitor travel. This job is roughly one-third administrative.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases.
- Take an active role in planning and supporting staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage and other important metrics for the Immigration team’s work.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Knowledge of major issues facing immigration and refugee policy in the United States, as well as rights and justice issues writ large.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The minimum salary for this role is $46,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.